Friday, July 31, 2015

Writing and Research - The Bare Bones

 
Even in the most imaginary stories of our time
you will find research as the backbone of the story
a platform for the characters
to take the stage in your hands
Books are such a rich and wonderful necessity to enrichment
of your life and yet most never pick up a book
while others are insatiable.
 
My first memories of reading were the Sunday comics
but my need to read became apparent when
I went through the encyclopedias at the age of four
beginning with the stories and going on to
real facts...what happened to encyclopedias?
I guess they became google
but they were in their time wonderful adventures.
 
I love to research the background of my stories
and generally get lost in the historical details of the times
and location in which I plot my romance
I would think that to write in a genre of the future would be easier
for you create the world but that world must
have some connection to the past and history to be realistic.
 
Fiction is about part reality and part imagination
the bare bones of your story must fall
on something that your readers can sit on with confidence
especially since my characters generally
not your average girl next door
so when you spin off challenging your readers
you must give them something that makes them comfortable.
 
That should be the end of the sentence
but there is the fine balance of too much history and not enough
it is like painting clouds on your canvas
to detail the history of time and place on the heavy side
will lose the attention of others and will also
make readers argue with your details
but to not have enough makes your story flimsy
but each story has it's own needs of details of the times in which
a character lives.
 
The greatest thing about researching is how much I learn
how many details I would have never known
or things that would have never been important in my life
research is my ultimate love
writing is my passion
and reading is something in my DNA.
 
barb

No comments:

Post a Comment