Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Years Resolution - Whatever!



Every December 31st
I think about why people celebrate
why does a man created day
another "X" on the Buff Fireman Calendar
hey...did you see "July's beefcake"
oh, I regress
but really he makes you want to do things
that don't meld with your
squeaky clean impression footprint
but
December 31st
you mark as a new beginning
a hope for something that you didn't think about
the other 355 days of the year
seriously...you are what you are
and the only thing
each morning sunrise will bring
is opportunity
for what?
Whatever....
Whatever is my favorite response
I can say it with snark
and a well placed roll of my green eyes
but then I believe that
satire is the ultimate form of getting a point across
if you can't be snarky
then let me tell you about "Mr. July Fireman"
which leads me to sexual harassment
the #MeToo of 2017
it isn't above sex because sex is fun
it is about imposition
of yourself upon someone who is afraid
to say no
"Whatever"
Whatever is the purpose of thinking
January 1st is a do-over
Do-over is retaining all your experience
all of your knowledge
and going back to the age of sixteen
and making better choices
I am a quiet feminist
it is curled up in front of the fire of my soul
I don't really think men are dumb
just that women are smarter
but again I regress
I make no lists for the new year
that I don't make every day of the year
and usually don't follow through
so I must assume
that I don't have the fortitude to stick
to my list
in 2018 whatever shall I do
a better me
Me is already the best it can be
that's been proven for as long as I have walked
this earth
I change, I take chances, I stand up for what I believe
I am passionate with a cup of satire
2018
is coming
but I am the very same tomorrow as
I am today.

Happy New Year
Celebrate that you are still here
to say "Whatever"!

barb


No comments:

Post a Comment