Sunday, February 26, 2017

Prospecting in the East Mountains



There is gold in them there hills...
Our newest adventure in an otherwise normal life
is taking up prospecting.
Granted I don't care that much about gold
as I do about the history of those
who came before modern technology.

Describe our world today - spoiled!
and I believe it is continuing
to head to a society of machines that make
life easy, enjoyable and spoiled.
East is machines that help grow and deliver our food
enjoyable is anything that makes us well enjoy life
and spoiled is because we are losing
appreciation of hard work.

I love technology
like I am using it all the time in both my writing,
reading and art but I have this need
to understand the great challenges of before 1900s
to just feed, protect and have a good life.
We live in the Rio Grande Valley
where there are mountains to the east of us
and high desert to the west
divided by the great Rio Grande River.

All things considered
we have joined a group with "claims" near our home
some are well only passable by donkey
and mostly deplete of easy gold
for in the 1800s and early 1900s
big mining companies were all over the mountains
so we bring home dirt to pan for gold.
Is it here?
Yes it is and it is very pure but unless you have
the 'technology' of modern equipment
it is a lesson in history.

Personally, I am interested in the rocks
the animals and the trees
but at the moment I am clueless as to what is there
except the 'guys' say always carry a gun.
Nice...if I am eaten by a bear
at least I'll make the news.

barb

No comments:

Post a Comment