Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Simple Format for Publishing



Writing to me is therapy.

It has always allowed me to step away from life and create a world that either releases my demons or soothed my emotions by taking out my anger, pain or disappointment in a way that keeps my world somewhat level.   Since divorcing after forty years of marriage to my high school boyfriend, I don't have that deep depressive drive to release but I still love to write.

I encourage people to write even if just for that release and to publish if for no other reason than someone might enjoy their work.  Does everyone want to be a world renowned author...well, yeah of course, but that is something only you will achieve by trying.

I have heard many people say they don't know how to create a Kindle book and I understand because I muddled through teaching myself.  I finally found Createspace which I use for all of my books.  I spent years on the computer in a law office working on Word Perfect which to this day I absolutely love but I'm retired and don't need the bells and whistles of WP.

I use Microsoft Words.  Under Layout you will find "Margins" and "Size".  Start with size and at the bottom of the drop down is "More Designs" but you will create your own size of 6x9 inches and click on "Whole Document".  Now got into Margins and hit Custom Margins.  I use 0.5 on the top, bottom, right left and between 0.60 to 0.75 - try both.  This is the "Gutter".  Make sure you click on Mirror Pages and Whole Document.

This is a basic layout design but if you do it before you write your first word, you will see a "page" as you write it.   The third thing is to decide page numbers.  This is under "Insert" - toward the right side of the options is "page number".  Pick your choice.  I usually do bottom centered numbers.  Then you have "Headers" which is where you can put in the name of your book.  [Close "Headers" when you are finished - it is a button far right]  The header will be lighter print which is nice.

This is the majority of setting up a 6x9 book format in Words.  Once you have done this, you can easily upload it on Createspace who will give you a "Review" of your entire book as well as issues that it feels need to be addressed.   You can also design your own cover using their free artwork, use your own or have your cover professionally done. 

Once Createspace feels your book is ready, it will submit it for a 24 hour review.  After the review stage, you can either review it again online or order a copy to review.  I like both ways but have actually used those 24 hours to reread my story where I always find issues.  I think I upload a book 2 or 3 times before I am happy.  One would think that I would find the problems before submitting but the only way that works is if you shelf it for a few days so you have a fresh eye on the words.

After that you go through the distribution issues that are easy if you read the little explanations next to each option. 

If you find errors after it is "live" - you can correct them on your computer file and reload it from your Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing Page that each author can set up.  But that's for another discussion. 

If you are not publishing because of the formatting work, I can assure you that you will find it easier than you ever thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment