Friday, July 29, 2016

Serious Discussion on Names


My decision to start publishing my writing on Amazon/Kindle
was something that in hindsight
I should have thought about a little longer
It's not that I have hopes of becoming an overnight success
because I haven't risen to the level
of the writers I cherish and love with all my heart.

My issue at the moment is my name.
It is pronounced Sweat...lick
If you are Slovak or Eastern European you would pronounce
the "V" hard and I do both depending on my mood
but I also sign my name different ways
for no reason that makes any sense even to me
but I do.

My name...it is borrowed and not that to which I was born
I married at the young age of nineteen
so mature I was
but back in the old days a woman proudly
with glee took her husband's name
and passed that name down to her children
obviating her individual existence.

I was married from 1970 until 2009
the name was second nature to my lips and fingertips
I was used to answering "how do you say your name"
or "can I call you Barbara"
when I came to the crossroads of change
I didn't think about taking my maiden name back
because the amount of paperwork and forms to change takes
a lot of time and really what does it matter.

When I remarried in 2011
I did not take my husband's name because of the reason
I didn't go back to my maiden name
too much paperwork.
My art is under my Svetlick name
My books started out under my Svetlick name
my Website is barbarasvetlick.com

I did finally change my Facebook name
I included my new married name on my website
but can't change the address
my issue at the moment as I wait for the kiln to ramp up
is do I take the steps
the mounds of paperwork and standing in line
to change all of the titles, licenses, websites and my overall persona
to my current husband's name?
I can't go back to my maiden name because that would
include filing court papers for permission.

Does it make any difference?
Does my "Ex" care one way or the other
Does my husband now?
Maybe it is just me and maybe I should have just
created a Pen Name for my public image.
Maybe that is what I need.
Maybe I just need to feel comfortable in my own skin.


A pen name (or "nom de plume") is a pseudonym (sometimes a particular form of the real name) adopted by an author (or on the author's behalf by their publishers). Many pen names are used to conceal the author's identity.

barb

No comments:

Post a Comment