Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Birds of a Different Color


The first reaction I get from my newest glass adventure is
...why are they fat...
...why are they funny looking...
 
 
As a sculpture glass artist
I have spent a lot of years perfecting my
flower beads
and sculptures incorporating my flowers
and birds
so what is a girl to do when boredom says "do something else"
 
I am learning how to take a hollow glass bead
and use the flame to shape a crazy bird design out of it
no I don't want to make birds you see
out in your tree
I want my birds to be colorful, crazy and a little odd
I personally don't think I am there yet
which is something artists understand as they cut
their way out of the artistic box
all of my birds start as a clear glass hollow bead
and I am using the worst clear glass I have
because it is merely the base
before I start applying the color.
 
The worst part of hollow beads is blowing the
bead release out of the bird
once it dries
but I won't try to explain that one.
 
So my adventure continues
and it is pushing my boundaries with the torch
and the movement of liquid glass.
 
barb

 
 




2 comments:

  1. Are these for sale? If so, what would the cost with shipping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't put any up for sale yet but I will probably list them on my Etsy account for $30 a bird plus shipping which probably will be around $2.50 in the US

    ReplyDelete