Friday, August 18, 2017

I Am Also An Artist!


I am a writer but also I am an artist.
Writing allows me to release stories that have been
hiding somewhere in my recessed mind.
Art is an expression of quirky
love for all things different and beautiful
to the eye of the beholder.

Whether it is a book, a poem, a movie
a song or a piece of art.
The eye of the beholder will decide for themselves
if it is pleasing or not.
Sometimes when not pleasing it might not
be pleasing but most times it is because
it is not that person's cup of tea.

The above piece was an old banjo
missing parts, in bad shape and only $10
at the weekend swap meet.
I have taken it apart and looked for parts
to renovate.  They don't exist so I moved to pure art.
The banjo had an old torn yellowed head
was missing hooks and the pegs
parts of the wood and of course no strings.

I first made sculptured glass magnolias
and leaves basing them off of a beautiful water painting
they were then inserted into holes drilled
into the center wood support.
The old head was cut and then I painted
magnolias and leaves as the background to the glass.
The front is clear glass.
On that I have painted magnolias, wild flowers
and morning glories.

It is far from a finished piece of art
and despite the fact that I tell myself that it should be simple
I just let my muse control on how it evolves.
I love painting more than melting glass
but it is the combination of the two
that makes up my love of mixed mediums.
When I was younger, I did a series
of small paintings of old doors and cats
but the doors were made of clay.
I still have one in my studio but doors are a passion of mine.

I have never combined my love of flowers
love of doors and my muse.
In my writing, you will always find flowers,
doors that need to be opened or maybe barred against
the outside.
For now, I will finish the banjo
for someone out there will fall in love with my muse
and will put it in a place for enjoyment.

Life is always so full
when you do what you love and love what you do!

barb



2 comments:

  1. I see you as the most complete artist I have ever known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be if I could carry a tune or play an instrument but those genes failed to prosper in my dna.

    ReplyDelete