Friday, December 16, 2016

Skimming Is a Horrible Habit



It is a cold overcast morning that begs me to enjoy my second cup of coffee


I have a horrible habit of skimming when I read and one would think that I took some course on speed reading.  It is really an anomaly between my brain and my eyes that at times I don't control and other times I put a lot of energy into slowly down.

This is particularly bad when my mind is going in other directions instead of taking a deep breath and enjoying the moment of time.  I ran a law office for most of my career and rose to that position because of my innate ability to organize and simplify every aspect of my job.  Fast and simple was my motto.  Speed reading or skimming is a valuable asset if you are able to pick up the information that allows you to determine whether or not you need to go back and read it thoroughly.

I have stopped myself after realizing that I have read a page without even knowing what I have read.  I have given this habit of mine thought and realize that when I am reading there is too much stimulus in the background.  In my youth, I spend hours in the library reading books.  I did check out a lot and was sometimes thankful that there was a limit on the books you could take home.  My best reads were sitting on the floor of a library reading a book that I just couldn't put down.

My library card was my entry into the world beyond my town.  There was no skimming, no distractions and the librarians never objected to my presence in the quiet corner.  The skimming came later in life.  I have decided it is time to break bad habits and to give a book my full attention.  So I shall start 2017 with being more mindful of my love for stories, books and authors.  I owe them my attention.

barb





No comments:

Post a Comment