Wednesday, December 29, 2021

The World Was Silent

 I haven't posted since "before the pandemic" and my logical self is asking why? Am I so boring when I don't have a world to explore and enjoy? When I am sitting here by myself faced with what chore should I do to keep my bones from freezing up like the Tin Man. 

I have lost the ability to be social with my only interactions at the grocery store or with neighbors. I am an introvert. Not that I don't enjoy being with people but even "before the pandemic", most believe that I am a very quiet person. A snapshot of my brain in a social setting would be astounding if I say so myself. My lips might not move or words spill out for others to ponder but my brain is talking to me. 

I don't know when this will be over. I am vaccinated, boosted and even have gotten the flu shot [I usually don't]. I wear a mask when out, I use that stuff on my hands and I keep my distance. So, what in the world do I do when I am in this invisible bubble?

I planted an entire wildflower garden taking up half of my yard and a tomato garden that gave me the best tomatoes to freeze for making sauces. Gardening with me is a perpetual experiment. I don't particularly like vegetables, so I decided to grow herbs and seriously you get a lot of herbs from small plants. This winter I am working on soups. I love soups with a lot of broth. My latest attempt will be making my own posole. After a great family gathering on Christmas eve, I made ham hock and beans which was fabulous if I must say so myself. 

Well, now that I have posted after two years of silence, maybe I will return to posting. Maybe not.

Barb

2 comments:

  1. When we were back in the land of MySpace, you were a veritable chatter box, same as me. You offered substantive commentary, even when those sitting to your left and right, at the table, struggled to declare "Good write" or "kudos" or repeat line seven in a poem, as if line seven was the definitive answer to... something.

    The problem is, even though several of those folks, far too often, tossed out superficial remarks, they were still actually engaging, which mattered. I mean, not everyone at the dinner table is a full time visionary (and often, the best one liners go unnoticed by those who would appreciate them, because they are sitting at the other end of the table.)

    Anyway, my point is, now we are in situations where someone is listening, but they are just nodding and smiling, and keeping to themselves. Just because they are now silent does not mean we have to be... I know, I am a fine one to say. I post once a year now, where I used to post once a day.

    Okay, I am rambling... I will close by saying, I am glad you posted this, and glad I saw it... Nappy New Year, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nappy new year to you!! I agree - responses from others challenge our brains. I have even backed off of FB for the most part. It is the old "If a tree falls in the woods, do you hear it?" The response is only if it falls on you. I miss MySpace and poets.

      Delete