Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Horton Hears A Who


When was the last time you read a children's book?
I grew up reading everything
an obsession before I knew what obsession meant
I read all the fairy tales that used to be
in the Encyclopedias
hours upon hours sitting on a neighbor's floor
starting with A and finally ending in Z.

I went to every movie show from Disney
sitting in large theaters with airmen and eating my popcorn
I colored every fairy tale
coloring book that was produced in my time
then I found libraries
it was like giving rich chocolate to a child
a whole building filled with book after book
giving me a new floor in which to sit.

Children's books are stories
the entertain children across the world
written in languages and illustrated to bring words alive
but...
children's books are really lessons
lessons of morals, lessons of love, lessons of compassion
they teach the path of giving, sharing
and just caring.

Horton Hears a Who
is about the importance of each of us
the importance of good against the foes in our path
the importance of standing together
fighting for the right
of each and every individual on this round ball
of humanity.

Dr. Seuss taught many lessons
and we need to raise our voices for good
for rights, for love and for the future.

barb

2 comments:

  1. When I think about Disney shows, I hear Rex Allen's deep baritone, heralding, "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect children's books in all languages. Shel Silverstein is my favorite though some would not put him into the genre of children's books but he is great.

    ReplyDelete