Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter Bunnies and Stuff



damn but I hate to admit that there are more years
behind me then in front but that's pretty much where I find myself
Easter is a religious holiday
that involved me getting a permanent
and a new dress in pink or lavender with Paten leather shoes
little white gloves and white hats with ribbons

...

 I will wish you the best day on this Easter Sunday
and admit that I love the traditions
which were so much a part of my life when young
the Easter Baskets
filled with candy, toys and eggs
[I didn't like hard boiled eggs or even eggs but I regress]
I loved the colors, the fake grass
and the jelly beans.
Back then there were only a handful of flavors.

...

I did have a black rabbit
we lived in North Dakota off of the base in a large house
the rabbits lived in a cage under the house
I don't know why I had a rabbit
but I did and then I didn't
because some nice person poisoned my rabbit.
Of course, that's what I was told
but when we left England I was told my black cat
was killed by a neighborhood dog...
this was the "we can't afford to quarantine her" solution
so instead I was emotionally destroyed
so I wouldn't argue at the age of seven.

...

I can now look back at all those childhood things
with a critical eye on the truth
and the necessity of bending it like light through a prism
the parental stories to handle a child
the fact that I remember these things and knew
then what I know now
makes me understand that those little stories
aren't always the way to handle things.

...

Alright...this is not a good Easter story
but more a story on morality
I accept more than I allow to change my world
I have adopted the old southern philosophy
of smiling, enjoying and telling others
"isn't that nice"

I am in the midst of getting ready for a large
art show and have two books in the air using one
to avoid finishing the other.
I think I have too much on my plate and have fallen
into a bowl of procrastination and noodles.

Have a great Easter and remember that spring is
a beautiful time of any year.

barb 

2 comments:

  1. Isn't this nice? Well, yes. It is essential; all of it. You tell the very best of stories. Did you know that? Trust me. You do.
    People assume I am some kind of poetry person, but that is not, nor has it ever been the case. I am a story teller. I just ran out of stories, so now I play with rhymes, but rarely.

    Now I want jelly beans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think you are better at story telling. I rarely rhyme unless I put my mind to it but rambling I can do at the drop of a hat. I didn't buy any jelly beans this year but maybe I'll pick up a 60% off sale before I head to Vegas. That should have me in a sugar high half-way through Arizona. Two things are necessary in the diet and bad for you, sugar and salt. I rendered down butter the other day and the white stuff you discard was pure salt in foam. It is no wonder I love real butter but I don't think that salt comes from the cow. Do you? No, I don't think so. I like when you drop by.

    ReplyDelete