Thursday, May 12, 2016

A little bit of Florida a lot of Buffet


Sweet mother of being sixteen years old and moving to Fort Lauderdale
it was semi-sweet since I had to leave my long time friends,
family and the great area around Washington DC
not to mention a boyfriend
but there I was in not but a few miles from Fort Lauderdale Beach
close enough to walk.

Do I miss Florida?
I miss the being sixteen years old so yeah I guess you can
put one with the other for living in South Florida
is an experience that as a teenager is beyond the pale of normal
life was good - life was free
and I did good until I started dating again.

Looking back the signals
were brighter than the railroad crossing as the train approached
sometimes I get angry at how incredibly
unseeing I was and how many opportunities were sitting
waiting for me to grab.

Does anyone ever get it right?
Probably not even though you say 'hey he got it right'
you have no idea what his real dreams were
and what he left on the curbside
now wishing that he could have done that other thing.

I used to believe in numerous lives and all the things
you learn next time around but I think
that this is it and if it is
I don't have time to regret even if I should
there's no backup button
and things are far closer through the windshield
then the rear view mirror.

I am returning to my love of painting and drawing
music and inspiration
for time is ticking, ticking away
and damn but I'm no longer sixteen years old
though Jimmy Buffet
does still make me feel like I am.

barb

No comments:

Post a Comment