Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Last Post of 2015


I sit here and wonder how I went from a curious small creature
to mandatory Medicare facing sixty-five
2015
'it was the best of times...it was the worse of times'

I have been taken to task for being
a bad mother in the eyes of the only child I braved the world to bear
and I wonder how that happened but I will own it.

I have been given the unconditional love
of two wonderful grandchildren who struggle to find their path
as they go out into the world.

I have fallen in love with the man I married
all over again in the City of Lights
with memories of the best trip in my life.

I have officially retired from my long
legal career in criminal law and though it is bittersweet
I so appreciate the years and the fact that my bosses are truly great friends.

I have made peace with my past
which was very hard because to shift gears after 50 plus years
makes things seem small in the rear view mirror.

I have given up being an activist
not because I am not but because if you're not
there's nothing I can do or say to make you change your views.

I don't need to be a feminist
because I am a woman, a girl, a mother and wife
independence lives in my soul like my beating heart in my body.

2016
will be the year of the cat paws
the year that I spend less time outside of myself
and more time
enjoying the adventures that are new and wonderful
where the shadows travel in the night
unseen but relevant
life is about life
enjoy the simplicity appreciate the complicated
but live life for there's only a promise
of tomorrow.

barb

No comments:

Post a Comment